Spread it all over...

As part of the current series of LIVING GEOGRAPHY conferences, I lead a session on how to use newspapers, and their associated websites to resource a curriculum which has contemporary influences embedded in it.

As part of the session, I mentioned a series of TV ads which suggested that a certain spread that went onto crumpets was the 'preferred choice' of people, despite there apparently being a very slight majority of the very small sample that they collected who preferred the spread.

Now the ad has been banned according to this SKY NEWS report and TELEGRAPH article, and for the reasons that I suggested in my session...

I wonder how many other ads are making claims on the basis of very small sample sizes... Keep an eye for the small print in those ads...
As part of the same session, I use the Sceptic's Toolkit book which is extracted from 'Panicology' which I notice is now out in paperback...

Thanks to Simon and Hugh for their permission to use the toolkit in the workshops.

This is a much better campaign: the WATERMARKS project in Bristol which ran earlier this month. Check it out: projections of possible sea level rises onto buildings. Time for another guerilla projection post ?

Comments