Salzburg and digital-earth.eu - Day 1

OK - this has been somewhat delayed as I've been a bit busy since my return...
Here's the details of the digitalearth trip to Salzburg at the end of January 2010


Thursday 20th January
Stansted airport was the starting point for a 4 day project meeting to establish 4 groups who would be working on a project for the next 3 years to develop a network of GI users across Europe and organise a number of conferences, which would hopefully attract around 1000 delegates.
The importance of GI and Geomedia is growing, and with the recent announcement on the state of the UK economy - apparently there was cold weather during winter - the ability to make the most of sketching technologies is even more important.

Air Berlin was the airport that Karl Donert: the project leader, had suggested, and proved to be an excellent choice. Check-in was done the previous day via website, so I only had to find my car-parking and take the shuttle bus to the terminal, which was not at all busy, so there was time to relax, and do some preparation of the paper that I was due to present. This took shape with the help of John Lyon and Fred Martin who offered their additional perspectives on the place of GI in geography education.
Before long, I was heading towards Salzburg at 35 000 feet and 860 km/hr, as I read through the conference papers and prepared myself for the 2 days of meetings which would be a new experience for me. Sun on cloudscape below, which had cleared only at the last minute, to reveal a snowy landscape.

Arrived early at the airport, and out to catch the bus into the city in the dark - we had our directions, but there was some confusion on my part as to where the Haut Bahnhof was. Crossed the river, and got off the bus to take a few photos of the Salzach river, flowing cold and dark through the city.

Snow was sifting down as I wandered back to the hotel, and checked into my hotel for the next 3 nights, and had a room up at the top of the hotel, beneath the pitched roof. My room had a view facing away from the peaks and once I'd 'freshened up' I wandered down to the welcome meal, and met the other project team, with introductions by Karl.

I had met Luc Zwartjes from Belgium at last year's GTE, but chatted with some of the other project team, and with Karl, and had a beer or two, and then a nice sea bass and various other courses.
Had a good chat with Ali too from Istanbul. There was a real pan-European flavour to the project team, and I was looking forward to the next few days...

Comments