Kelham Island and other nostalgic places...

Up to Sheffield earlier in the week, and instead of the usual route, I decided to drive past a few places I knew from my youth, and ended up driving past this road sign... We used to go the pub in Brookhouse with my parents: I used to have a lime and lemonade and a packet of crisps... sat on the plastic seats of our VW Beetle in my shorts (murder on a hot day)
Wonder if you could use Street View to work out the exact location of the junction ?
Later that day, had a pleasant evening in Kelham Island, visiting a few public houses from my youth.... this time I didn't stick to the lime and lemonade... There was plenty of new development, and entire foundries and workshops had disappeared since the last time I'd visited which was only a few years ago.

Some of the places had changed utterly, and yet that road sign had clearly stood there for decades...

What places have you not been back to for a while ? Why not plan a trip back "home"...


Or can you never really "go back" ?


For more on travelling, get your copy of MISSION EXPLORE: ON THE ROAD....

Comments