AEGIS: An Educational Geographic Information System

AEGIS 3 is An Educational GIS, (hence the name) which will be familiar to many readers of this blog. I purchased it for use in my school, although it was 'aegis' before I got round to using it...

It has been developed by the Advisory Unit, specifically for use in schools, and has the advantage of being used in lots of schools, where teachers have been developing resources for use with the package, so there are plenty of materials available online, which have been shared by users.

What makes it easy to use is the recognisable screen 'format', which is a word document / A4 worksheet which helps to create distinctive activities which can be completed by students, or developed as appropriate.


Students can work with the sheets easily, to develop their GIS skills in a progression. The software is sent on a disc with license documents, and there are also modules for bringing in OS Mastermap data and also GOAD plans...

In the last few years, there has been a lot of activity from the Advisory Unit who has worked in association with Helen Young (creator of the GeographyGeek website)
They have produced two particularly useful resources for teachers who are new to the software, and want support introducing it for use with pupils.
I shall introduce and talk about those in another blog post as I shall be blogging regularly about AEGIS and its use in the classroom.

I am grateful to Diana Freeman from the Advisory Unit for her previous support in various ways. She very kindly provided software and support (along with Helen Young, Paula Cooper and Tom Bramald from Geomatics) for a double workshop that I led at the GA Conference in 2007 (before I joined the GA staff....)
Materials from this can still be downloaded from the GA website:
(details but not hyperlinks below...)

Download: Introductory PowerPoint Presentation (838k)
Download: Derby Map (JPEG, 100k)
Download: Recording Sheet (Word, 170k)
Download: Using Aegis3 for Fieldwork (Word, 48k)
Download: Using GIS for Fieldwork (Word, 273k)
Download: GA Mag GIS Supplement Taster (PDF, 58k)
Download: GIS: One Small Step (Word, 33k)
Download: 'Talk the talk: Mapping mobile phone masts with GIS' Teaching Geographysubscribers only



The presentation I used on that day is available below - still of some use after all those years - whatever happened to all those SPC colleagues :)
I am now grateful for Diana Freeman once again, as she is one of the strands that I blogged about a few days ago with regards to my current plans from September.

From September 2011, or earlier if required, I will be available to offer training on GIS with AEGIS with you and your colleagues. If you have purchased AEGIS and you'd like to have a day or half-day training, we can organise that for you if you contact the Advisory Unit.
I hope to see some of you in 2011-12...

That is not the only GIS training that I will be doing next year, and information on where and when I shall be working will appear in the right hand column of this blog in the section "Where will Mister P be..." - more on the ESRI / GA courses for next year to appear as plans develop...

Comments