Out of this world...

On Monday, I dropped into the British Library to catch their new exhibition on SCIENCE FICTION.
It is called "OUT OF THIS WORLD" and it is rather good, although quite a lot of the exhibits refer back very closely to this world: in particular there is strong theme of urbanism and the building of future cities.

One of the many authors that are featured in the exhibition is China Mieville, who has written a number of intriguing books on the future of cities and society.

I also made a few new discoveries, such as George Turner's "The Sea and Summer" which looks to be particularly interesting...

There's a good mix of material, including books, comics, artefacts, cultural 'stuff' such as a Tardis to please the Dr. Who fans, of which I am not one...
Was thinking about my own Science Fiction experiences: when I was younger I certainly read a lot: Isaac Asimov, Dune, Ringworld, Iain Banks' Culture novels (I remember reading 'Consider Phlebas' while on the bus heading for one of my first teaching jobs on the edge of Sheffield...)

A good review, with some images on the FORBIDDEN PLANET website, and another by the TELEGRAPH.

You can also CREATE A POSTCARD on the website....
There's a BLOG which provides more background on the development of the exhibition...

And if you're there for the exhibition, you may as well go up a flight of steps and visit the exhibition on the CENSUS, which includes an excellent

If you're catching a train from Euston, St. Pancras or King's Cross and have a while, go and see this exhibition...

Comments