Blackpool's regeneration - you must be joking...

Saw this on the news earlier and I really liked it.... good graphic quality to it.

The Blackpool Comedy carpet was designed by artist Gordon Young

Although it's called a carpet it's made from concrete, which is just as well as it was wet when Ken Dodd officially opened it...
It's part of the regeneration of Blackpool's promenade....


Graham Cain, Blackpool Council's cabinet member for tourism and culture, said: "This magnificent work is all part of the continuing regeneration of Blackpool. It's a truly unique work of accessible public art at one of our resort's most famous locations.
"There's already a huge amount of interest in the carpet and I'm looking forward to seeing people enjoy it once it's officially open."
It apparently cost £14 million, and has been described as "our Angel of the North, but horizontal..."

Comments

AnneG said…
£14m!!!! I saw this when I was there a few weeks ago, you get a good view of it from the Tower, although that view was through a dirty window, wind, rain and metal barriers :-)
Alan Parkinson said…
Looks good - bit pricey though... Got my wife's favourite joke in there: the one about dreaming about eating a giant marshmallow, "and when I woke up my pillow was gone"...