Christmas present to myself...

With the bit of extra cash I get from people at this time of year: my birthday and Christmas both fall in the next few weeks, I've decided to go for this camera as an alternative to the GoPro that I was considering...

The peculiar curved tube ends on a f/2.8 aperture 146° wide-angle lens, with a Sony-made 16MP 1/2.3" CMOS sensor behind it. HTC has equipped the Re camera with a standard and wide angle option setting for images - both in the maximum 4:3 aspect ratio at 16MP.
The Re camera can capture FullHD videos at 30fps as well as 720p at the same framerate. It can also do slo-mo 720p at 120fps. Here go the highlights.

Key features

  • 16MP 1/2.3" CMOS sensor, f/2.8 aperture scratch-resistant lens
  • 146° ultra wide angle capture
  • 1080p@30fps and 720p@120fps video capture
  • Configurable timelapse capture and slow-mo footage
  • IP57 rating for dust and water resistance
  • Standard °" tripod mount
  • MicroSD card slot
  • Built-in speaker
  • HTC Re app works on Android and iOS
The frame rate is not as good as the GoPro at the higher quality (although I don't necessarily have the equipment to take advantage of that anyway), but the image MP rate is higher... and there's an SD card slot for extra storage. The WiFi upload to Dropbox is also a great feature... and the fact that it's water and dust resistant is good for the outdoors usage I'm planning to put it to....
It's also a bit cheaper than the GoPro at £120....

It should arrive later this week, and I plan to test it on my trip up to North Yorkshire in a few weeks time....

Comments