The Gig Economy

I've been reading and writing about this recently, and it was the subject of a large article in a recent Sunday supplement.
The Gig economy is defined as follows:

A gig economy is an environment in which temporary positions are common and organizations contract with independent workers for short-term engagements.

The Guardian article here is useful.

The gig economy refers to those people who earn money by doing numerous small jobs, such as freelancing and independent contract work. There are also many people on zero hours contracts who may line up additional work for days when they are not otherwise working. I am currently on a zero hours contract for ease of payment for work that I do with the Institute of Education.

There are also thousands of Uber and Deliveroo drivers who are involved in the Gig economy...

Something I shall return too later in the year when I have a moment...

Comments